Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Out Now! Dead Man's Hand: A Weird West Anthology

Note: I'm not really here! I'm still offline, enjoying much-needed time with family. I'm scheduling this from the past. Which means I'm sort of like a time traveller...


I'm thrilled to be a part of Dead Man's Hand: An Anthology of the Weird West, edited by John Joseph Adams. I recently got my copy in the mail and saw so many old favorites in the table of contents...Charles de Lint, Kelley Armstrong, Seanan McGuire. And the anthology has some new authors whose works I simply cannot wait to get into!

My short story is called "The Man with No Heart," and I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Here's some fun facts!


  • The main character is named Ray Malcolm, a nod to Mal Reynolds from Firefly
  • The story visits the Grand Canyon, as well as Flagstaff, Arizona and Native American cliff-dwelling ruins
  • It is heavily influenced by Hopi legends
  • There's a steampunk element without truly being a steampunk story--let's just saw somethings are mechanical that shouldn't be mechanical
  • Spiders!
  • Guns!
  • A saloon girl and bad guy and a white hat!
  • The story was fact-checked by my father, the world's leading expert in all things Wild West
I hope you check this anthology out! If you like Westerns, if you like science fiction, if you like Firefly and heros and twisty stories and battles and the Old West...

No comments: