Monday, December 30, 2013

Year-end Review: Links and More!

I can hardly believe that 2013 is nearly over. This has been a year of stops and starts for me. I stopped writing in the Across the Universe world with the release of the last book in the trilogy, Shades of Earth. I started working on something else...and then something else...and then something else....and then something else. Then I stopped working on some of those projects...and then some of those projects sold (and others did not), so I started working on them again! You should be getting news of the fruition of that work fairly soon...

I'm looking forward to 2014. I'm looking forward to starting a new trilogy, exploring a new world. I'm looking forward to new challenges, and attempting to work on more than one book/world at a time. I plan on experimenting more with short work, and doing some things online--and off--that I've not done before.

2014 will hopefully be a year of change for me. But change is, above all else, terrifying. But wrapped around all that scary change is hope, and it's the hope I'm clinging to at the moment...


Anyway! Here's a collection of some of the recent things to distract you from the nauseous fear of a looming new year:

Also: most of this information is also going out in my newsletter at the end of the week. I'm going to strive to make my newsletter this year a monthly endeavor, with a collection of interesting things for everyone to read. If you're not already a subscriber, please consider signing up for it here!



Free Short Story





A short story of mine, "The Turing Test," was recently published in the online magazine, Lightspeed. The entire story is available online for free on the Lightspeed website. The story was inspire by the Turing Test, a test developed by Alan Turing to evaluate humanity in computers, such as androids. The New York Times recently did an amazing article on Turing that you can read in full here.





Across the Universe was recently featured on the USA Today website. It was selected as a recommended sci fi read, and the reviewer said, "This has been one of the best YA sci-fi books I've read in a few years. Beth Revis also pulled the trilogy into an interesting plotline in the third book that I didn't see coming — and loved every moment." You can read about all the selections here.


 Huffington Post has had two great articles recently. The first, by Meagan Spooner and Amie Kaufman (authors of These Broken Stars) talks about "Why Everyone Should Read More Science Fiction." It touches on everything I believe in when it comes to SF and YA--how both are "universal to the human experience" and should be read by everyone. Also, the brilliant Lydia Kang (author of Control), wrote "Young Adult Sci Fi that will get Readers Psyched About Science," and I'm honored that Across the Universe made the list! Both these articles are really great; check them out!

I was honored to make my own list of must-read books for the LA Review of Books, as well as share the story of how I came to start writing YA Science Fiction in the first place. My list features some of my favorite recent YA SF books. You can read the entire article and see the list here. 

The League of Extraordinary Writers is undergoing some changes as well! We're moving to a more mobile front, with a monthly newsletter highlighting articles, a few new members to be announced soon, and a renewed focus. Make sure you don't miss a thing--this is the hub of all things YA & SF!

I would like to feature one new author a month with a specific story featuring the setting on their novel. If you're an author (or soon to be published), please fill out the form to be featured on my website and in my newsletter! Please direct all your author friends here! This new series will start next month.

If you're an aspiring writer, make sure you're a member of the Reddit sub, YAWriters. I'm one of the mods there, and we have some big plans for the new year. You can always find new articles on YA writing there, and we hold regular crits. Joining is simple and free, and there's almost always someone online to help answer any questions you have about writing, publishing, and more.


Speaking of advice for writers, my friend Jess Spotswood has an amazing article up right now about expectations. I think you should read it.


No comments: