Saturday, December 26, 2009

Live-Blogging Christmas Style

I got the husband a zombie board game. This one. And although he wanted to have a guy's night in on Christmas day, I made him wait until December 26th before doing one.

Now he's in the kitchen with his friends, and they're all massacreing little plastic zombies or some such, and I'm locked away in my office/bedroom in order to write.

Unlike other live-blogging writing experiences, this one is different. First, I'm awake and hopped up on the energy drinks (I had no idea that the husband gave me drinks with espresso in them. I thought they were regular hot chocolates, not super-hot choc.) Second: I don't have a clear goal.

Or, rather, I have several goals.
  1. Revise manuscript to fit ideas for sequels
  2. Shorten and tighten synopses for sequels
  3. Write taglines for all three books in trilogy
(PS: Did I tell you that my little book is now a trilogy. Cause it is. HOW COOL IS THAT?!)

I think I'm going to tackle my last goal first. Taglines. That's something I usually struggle with, but fortunately, I've just finished reading a wonderful post by Janice Hardy, author of THE SHIFTER (which is, btw, the best MG fantasy I've read in a looooong time).  The whole article is a wealth of information on preparing to market a book (really worth your time), but here's what Janice says about taglines:
Taglines are a great thing to have, as they capture attention and can pique interest. We all know we have to be able to talk about our books in one sentence, but also look for ways that you can promote the book the same way movies do.
So, my goal is to create simple, short sentences about each of my three books that really grab the attention of the reader. This will be the taglines I display on my website, the ones I can use to market the books in other media, such as bookmarks or business cards, etc.

So no pressure. *snort*

It's 9:31PM. Let the live-blogging begin.

10:39PM: Taglines done! Holy crap, it took me over an hour to write three super-short phrases. *whew!* But...at least I have something to show for it.
Book 1: No hope. No one to trust. And no way out. Amy and Elder are supposed to be among the first people to visit a new planet, but with a murderer on board their ship, they may never make it.

Book 2: A new planet. A new chance. But Amy and Elder can only get there if they make their enemy their friend, and find out which friend is their enemy.

Book 3: The ship's landed. The colony's settled. But Amy and Elder discover the real danger wasn't in getting to the new planet. It's surviving it.
My goal with these taglines was to create something short and punchy that showed, primarily, the conflict of the story. The entire time, I had Janice Hardy's post on taglines showing in another window of my screen. Really--she's brilliant.

OK: on to Goal 2--shortening and tightening my synopses. Can you tell which goal I am most reluctant to tackle?

(OK, actually, I'm going to Twitter a bit. Why lie?) 

10:46: Tweeting done. 

PS: PLEASE feel free to critique my taglines. They seem a bit off here, all in a row. I've worked on them too long for now...I'm going to work on the synopses first, and then come back to them.


10:48: The new plan: Pair each tagline with a pitch paragraph and a shortened synopsis. Cut each synopsis (currently around 8 pages) to no more than five pages. And...go!


11:07: I have successfully copied and pasted the original query into a new document. Not much of an accomplishment. Then I got distracted. MUST FOCUS.


11:24: Wrote second pitch. Not sure how much I like it... will attempt third pitch before working on the second one more.


11:45: I decided I couldn't work without cleaning my room. Cleaned room. Still can't work.


11:46: So, yanno how there was all these post-Christmas sales? We bought a pack of sea-salted dark chocolate...and OMG IT IS SO GOOD NOM NOM NOM.



11:52: *dies of sugary-salty awesome*


12:15: Oh, lordy, I don't think I can let myself be distracted any more. *sigh* OK, back to work.


12:19: I wrote a paragraph. Surely that merits a visit to Regretsy.


12:23: Ok, ok, OK. I will just get back to work.


12:29: I just realized. I've finished the short pitches, and the log lines. And, uh. That means I have to do the work I *really* don't wanna do! WAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


12:42: How did it get to be 12:42 and all I've done is open the documents?


12:58: I am fading fast. Need a kick in the pants...or need to give up and go to sleep...


1:13: How can two super-large energy drinks fail me so quickly? UGH!


1:46: Successfully revamped original book 1 synopsis to fit new plot ideas. Also cut down Book 2 synopsis to four pages. This means all the synopses are four pages...except Book 3--which is achingly still at 8ish. Cut cut cut cut cut.


1:54: I DON'T WANNA CUT!!!!!!!!!!!


2:35: omg this one is going to kill me tell my family i loved them don't wait for me just save yourselves.


2:47: Have cut 8ish pages down to 6ish. 


3:00 AM: Have cut it down to 5ish pages...and must give up here. All in all, though, I count tonight as a success! 


3:16: Just kidding! I couldn't quit...and was able to cut down that last synop to 4 pages. YAY!!!!!!!

18 comments:

Rhiannon Hart said...

Taglines! I need to be able to express what my book is about in one sentence and I can't yet. I will read the post you mentioned, thank you!

Bethany Wiggins said...

Hi, Beth! Just found your lovely blog.

Shannon Messenger said...

Wow. I am HORRIBLE at taglines so I am completely floored by how fast you did that. So...*bats eyelashes* do you have any secrets to share on how the heck you did that so amazingly well?

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

oooh Taglines are the best!! Im sooo excited about those--I practiced with my stupid stories I wrote as a kid. I like this idea!

Unknown said...

Shannon: Seriously, all I used was that Janice Hardy post. She's brilliant, truly.

Frankie: Practice makes perfect!

Rhiannon: Go read! It's really good!

Bethany: Hello! *waves*

Unknown said...

PS: Can you tell I'm stalling? *am lame*

Shannon Morgan said...

Sea-salted dark chocolate = WIN!!!

Unknown said...

I love tag one and two, but I'm not sure tag three could stand alone very well. I sure need to do this... Thanks for the link!

TerryLynnJohnson said...

Beth, this was such an entertainging post! loved how you let us follow you on your late night binge. Awesome sense of humour. And I thought tag line 1 may be a little long? Maybe by just one sentence. But 2 and 3 were great! I also follow Janice's blog, but haven't had time during the holidays to read that post. Thanks for the reminder.

storyqueen said...

I am impressed, you made it into the wee hours!! And you accomplished your goal!

Hilarious reading the live blow by blow.

What a great year you've had!

Shelley

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I can't believe you did all that in the middle of the night. How awesome! And I am really impressed with those taglines. On #3 I think I'd drop the first two items-they lack the punch of the rest.
I read Janice's post. Thanks so much for that link. Great stuff.

Clementine said...

You never cease to amaze me, gal. Congratulations on an incredible year, and I look forward to reading about all of your success in 2010! Happy New Year to ya!

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

My gosh, you're a busy bee. Phew! I got tired just reading all you'r up to. But the taglines? Bravo! So hard to do that. Still can't seem to do it with mine, though I'll give it another go after my last round of revisions. Will check out the post!!

Hope you're having a wonderful holiday season.

Heather Zundel said...

Hee hee hee. I love your live blogging (especially when you are sleep deprived). And congratulations on making in down to 4 pages! That's impressive. Can I have a looksie? :D

Suzette Saxton said...

Taglines. Good thing to do in one's free time. Good for you, Beth, it sounds like you got a lot done!

Suzette Saxton said...

Oh! And thanks for the link to the awesome MG book.

Teri K said...

Beth -- I have to say CONGRATULATIONS on finding an agent!!! What a Christmas gift. Along with that, thanks so much for your blog, it's definitely one of my very favorites. As usual, Taglines is helpful and interesting. I don't usually say this, but I truly want to read your new book -- it sounds unique and fascinating. Write on.

kanishk said...

I will read the post you mentioned, thank you!

Work from home India