Friday, March 13, 2009

Books I Cannot Help But Like

Edited to Add: For some reason, I'm having a really hard time commenting on people's blogs...every time I click to comment, my intarwebs crashes. So--sorry, but comments from me (on this blog and on yours) are going to be a bit light until I can figure out the problem. Didn't want y'all thinking I didn't love ya no more or nothing.

Previously, I posted about books that I can't help but dislike, and the exceptions to that list. Today, I'm switching it up a bit: books I love no matter what.

There are certain tropes and types of stories that I will read no matter what. It doesn't matter that it's the same story in a different pair of pants--this type of story just hooks me, and I'll buy it sight unseen.

  • Myth retellings, particularly retellings of Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast. This has led me to Ever After, Ella Enchanted, and Bound in the Cinderella category, and countless others in the B&B category. I know the plot is essentially repeated in these tales, I know that I'm reading fairy tales that rarely deviate from the norm....but I love 'em and could read them all day.
  • Portal stories. This is something, I've heard, that agents and editors are tired of seeing, but I love them. Give me a world where someone from Earth lands somewhere else, and I'll eat it up. It started with Narnia, obvs, but I love all the stories that follow this formula.
  • Girl hero stories. Love these, too. The Hero and the Crown is my favorite in this category, but if there is a girl with a sword kicking tail in the story, I'll read it. This is, btw, the category I'm most often disappointed with...I may read all these stories, but lately I've been having trouble finding one I love.
So, what about you? What types of books and stories are you addicted to?

9 comments:

Bowman said...

I don't know of any type of book I'm addicted to, but I'm starting to think I like military sci-fi.

I like fantasy set on a different planet, but urban fantasy is not my cup of chocolate soymilk.

I'm not interested in girl hero stories (call me piggy) or myth retellings (at least not the girly stuff you listed), but I do like portal stories since we get away from Earth.

Keri Mikulski said...

Chick Lit and sports stories.. I love the who girl power angle and sports pull all sorts of emotions out of me.

Hmm.. I guess that is why I write what I do. :)

Happy Friday!

Stacy Nyikos said...

I'll fall for just about anything that whisks me away. The most recent book that did that was "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. Of course, it doesn't hurt that he's not too hard on the eyes either, but I didn't know that until after I'd fallen for his writing so it doesn't count, does it?

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Anything that involves kidnapping for some stupid reason. I know I'm not the only one. :)

Sorry to hear about your commenting problem. I do miss your comments! :(

Davin Malasarn said...

I remember trying so hard to get into Narnia. And, since you couldn't get in by trying, I'd have to trick myself into forgetting that I was trying. Never worked.

@GeekWillow said...

I love a good love story, but it has to be realistic. If I can't believe that the characters could actually be together, then it's no good.

I also tend to like princess books, adult or YA. Probably goes back to my Cinderella complex, lol.

Most stories that put an interesting spin on magic use tend to captivate me as well.

Sorry to hear about the commenting issue. I had that a while back and just had to keep trying to send the comments 3-4 times before they would go through. Good Luck!

lotusgirl said...

Good luck with getting the commenting issues straightened out.

I love adventure, love, comedy, poignancy, depth.

The Blue Sword was one of my faves (since you mention The Hero and The Crown). It has all those qualities.

My softest spot is for a good love story though. Not smutty or anything. I like them to have some interesting twists.

Marcia said...

I suppose historical is too broad a category, but I'll at least give most historical a chance. I'm also a sucker for a story of true love between two people of super integrity, especially the guy. Not a lover of bad boys here. :)

Christina Farley said...

I don't really know. I just find I like a good story. Romances are always fun or if it's full of action and adventure. I do love myth retellings too! And your books. :)