Thursday, September 4, 2008

Linkspam!

Lots of interesting stuff out on the intrawebs now:

An excellent list of new and current YA books. (with themes that define edgy, and remind me that I'm probably dipping my toes more in the MG genre)

A new YA publisher on the scene.

Holly Hobbie was a real person?! And she's writing (another) book?!

Among other things that Nathan Bransford says he doesn't want in a query (most are pretty obvious), this one stood out as a mistake that I'd be likely to make if I weren't careful:
- The themes of your novel (this should be clear from the description of the plot)
And, Nathan also identified the sweet spot in length for queries:
Well, after doing this for a week I basically decided that there is a sweet spot in query word count between 250 and 350 words.
Mine is 276. Sweet!

6 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Holly Hobbie was a patch my mom sewed on matching clothes for my sister and me growing up.
And sweet on your query!

Unknown said...

I had a comforter with Holly Hobbie on it...actually, I think when I was a real little kid, my mom decorated my room with it? I dunno, I just remember the unicorn curtains, but I know there was a lot of Holly Hobbie in my "baby box" at my mom's. I had no idea she was a real person--I thought she was a character like Rainbow Brite!

Keri Mikulski said...

Good stuff. Thanks for the link. :)

Unknown said...

No problem!

Heather Zundel said...

You can spam me anytime. These links were great.

Unknown said...

Glad you liked :)